Budget and School Taxes
- Total Budget: $36,647,500
- Year-To-Year Spending Change from 2017-18: 5.62%
- Tax Levy Change from 2016-17: 3.9%
- Maximum Allowable Tax Levy Increase: 6.34%
On Tuesday, May 15, residents of the Broadalbin-Perth Central School District approved a $36,647,500 budget for the 2018-19 school year, 373-228. The budget represents a 5.62 percent spending increase and a tax levy increase of 3.9 percent, which is below the district’s calculated tax levy “cap.” More than half of the projected tax levy and spending increase will go toward paying down debt associated with the 2016 capital project, while the rest will go toward the district’s annual operating budget.
2017-18 Budget Snapshot
- Total Budget: $34,697,486
- Year-To-Year Spending Change from 2016-17: 2.12%
- Tax Levy Change from 2016-17: 2.15%
- Maximum Allowable Tax Levy Increase: 2.15%
About the B-P Budget
- More than 51 percent of the district’s revenues come from state and federal aid, while 42 percent of revenue comes from local property taxes.
- About 59 percent of spending is on classroom instruction with another 7 percent going to instructional support. About 22 percent of the budget is spent on district operations, including building maintenance, utilities and business office functions.
School Tax Rates & Bills
School property tax rates are set in August for the upcoming school year. Tax rates are based on the total tax levy in the voter-approved school budget, the state-determined equalization rates, and assessment rolls for each town.
School tax rates for the 2017-18 school year, per $1,000 of assessed value, are:
- Amsterdam — $200.092
- Broadalbin — $19.519
- Edinburg — $32.162
- Galway — $31.014
- Johnstown — $24.812
- Mayfield — $25.541
- Northampton — $26.315
- Perth — $32.469
- Providence — $17.368
Paying School Taxes
School property taxes are due Oct. 31 each year. School taxes will be collected without penalty from Sept. 1 through Sept. 30. A penalty of 2% will be added to payments received from Oct. 1 through Oct. 31. No payments are accepted after Oct. 31. Any amounts unpaid at that time will be turned over to the appropriate county.
In an effort to reduce costs, Broadalbin-Perth and Key Bank strongly encourage taxpayers to send their payment by mail if they are paying by check.
PAY BY MAIL (CHECK)
Payments that are mailed must be postmarked no later than Oct. 31. Checks should be made payable to Broadalbin-Perth School Tax Collector.
Send your check or money order to:
Tax Processing Unit
Broadalbin-Perth Central School District
PO Box 14225
Albany, NY 12212-4225
PAY IN PERSON
Visit KeyBank’s Route 30/Maple Avenue Branch at:
4773 State Highway 30
Amsterdam, NY 12010
Payments can only be made in the lobby; drive-thru payments will not be accepted.
Lobby hours are 9 a.m.-6 p.m., Monday through Wednesday; 8:30 a.m.-7 p.m., Thursday and Friday; and 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday.
PAY ONLINE (CREDIT/DEBIT)
Taxes can be paid by credit/debit card (2-day processing) or e-check (5-day processing).
Residents whose school tax bills are paid via escrow accounts should not use this service as the amount due will be deducted from their escrow accounts during the month of September, as in years past.
Residents who choose to use the online bill pay service should note that the company that provides the service charges a one-time transaction fee of $0.50 plus 3 percent of the bill total for credit or debit card payments (minimum $2 fee) and $4.95 for all e-check transactions; the service charges 0.50 percent of the bill total as a surcharge on e-checks of $2,500 or more.
Pay your school tax bill online here. Property owners can search for their accounts by last name, street address, bill number or SBL (section, block, lot) number.
Property owners can contact the school tax collector Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at (518) 954-2505.
Questions about assessments, exemptions or address changes should be directed to local assessors:
- Amsterdam — (518) 842-7961
- Broadalbin — (518) 883-8628
- Edinburg — (518) 863-2034
- Galway — (518) 882-6070
- Johnstown — (518) 762-6804
- Mayfield — (518) 661-5414
- Northampton — (518) 863-4875
- Perth — (518) 843-6977
- Providence — (518) 882-6541
For information about STAR exemptions, visit the STAR website or call (518) 457-2036.