It was near perfect weather for Broadalbin-Perth’s outdoor commencement ceremony on Patriot Field as members of the community celebrated graduating seniors in the Class of 2021 on Friday, June 25. B-P Senior High School Principal Mark Brooks emceed the ceremony, with Superintendent of Schools Stephen Tomlinson, B-P Board of Education President Stephen Syzdek and Assistant Principal Adam Barnhart handing out diplomas to 125 members of the graduating class.
PHOTOS – Graduation photos have been posted to the district’s Facebook page: https://bit.ly/3h7Q98M
VIDEO – The commencement ceremony was live streamed and a replay can be viewed on the district’s Facebook page: https://bit.ly/2UcgXx8
Highlights of the ceremony included:
- Five graduates who are enlisting in the U.S. military — Jeanell Cook, Alexis Johnson, Mackenzie O’Connor, Collin Peck, and Michael Siegle — led the crowd in the Pledge of Allegiance.
- The Star Spangled Banner was performed acapella by three B-P students — graduating seniors Michaela Staie and Alexis Rodriguez, and junior Kate Szumowski — under the direction of chorus teacher Alex Hitrick.
- The Broadalbin-Perth concert band, under the direction of Michael Graves, performed the theme from “Pomp and Circumstance” as the graduates processed onto Patriot Field.
- Individual student speeches were given by valedictorian Kelsey Hinderliter, salutatorian Lilian Mitchell and class co-treasurer Aubrey Jennings.
- Tomlinson and Syzdek also addressed the Class of 2021 with inspirational speeches filled with advice and encouragement.
- The song “Expectations for a Class Affected by COVID for the Class of 2021” was performed by graduating senior Michaela Staie, who wrote both the music and lyrics for the original piece.