With winter weather coming soon, it’s a good time for parents and students to be reminded how Broadalbin-Perth communicates weather-related announcements, including closings, delays and early dismissals.
While snow is the reason for most school closings and delays, it’s not the only possible culprit. Especially during the winter months, schools in upstate New York must also contend with issues like extreme wind chills, boiler failures and water main breaks.
Superintendent of Schools Stephen Tomlinson must make decisions about closing or delaying the start of the Broadalbin-Perth school day by 5:00 a.m.
Once the decision is made to close school or delay the start of the school day, that information is disseminated a number of different ways:
- ParentSquare: District-wide post on ParentSquare for all students, parents, staff and community members who have signed up
- The home page of the district website, www.bpcsd.org
- The district’s weather hotline (518-954-2525)
- The voicemail of the district office (518-954-2501)
- The Capital Region School Closing Network, which informs local TV and radio stations. Note, Broadalbin-Perth does not control when or if TV and radio stations publicize school closings and delays. All school districts in our area use the Capital Region School Closing Network.
PARENTSQUARE: Mr. Tomlinson recommends that all parents register their accounts in ParentSquare if they haven’t already. ParentSquare is the new communication platform for the district, which replaces Blackboard and Patriot Portal. ParentSquare can be accessed on any web browser (https://www.parentsquare.com/) or by downloading the Broadalbin-Perth ParentSquare app, which is available for FREE in the App Store or Google Play. To log in, parents should use the email address that they have on file with the district. If they need to update their contact information, they should email Trisha Miller in the communications department at email@example.com.