Reporting of Expenditures and Contributions
Each candidate for the position of member of the Board of Education whose expenses and/or contributions received exceed five hundred dollars ($500) must file a statement accounting for his/her campaign expenditures and contributions with the District Clerk and an additional statement with the Commissioner of Education. In the event the expenses do not exceed five hundred dollars ($500) and the aggregate amount of all contributions made to the candidate do not exceed five hundred dollars ($500), then a sworn statement to that effect must only be filed with the District Clerk.
Required contribution statements shall include:
- a) The dollar amount and/or fair market value of any receipt, contribution or transfer which is other than money;
- b) The name and address of the transferor, contributor or person from whom received;
- c) If that transferor, contributor or person is a political committee as defined in Election Law Section 14-100;
- d) The name and political unit represented by the committee;
- e) The date of receipt;
- f) The dollar amount of every expenditure;
- g) The name and address of the person to whom the expenditure was made, or the name of and political unit represented by the committee to which it was made; and
- h) The date of the expenditure.
The times for filing the statements are as follows:
- a) The first statement on or before the thirtieth day preceding the election to which it relates;
- b) A second statement on or before the fifth day before the election;
- c) A third statement within twenty days after the election.
Any contribution or loan in excess of one thousand dollars ($1000) received after the close of the period covered in the last statement filed before the election (b above) but before the election itself shall be reported within twenty-four (24) hours after receipt.
All statements must be sworn before a notary public, a commissioner of deeds, a lawyer or a public official authorized by New York State law to administer oaths.