Legal Qualifications of Voters at School District Meetings
A person will be entitled to register and vote at any school meeting for election of members of the Board, and upon all matters which may be brought before such meeting, who is:
- a) A citizen of the United States;
- b) Eighteen (18) years of age or older;
- c) A resident within the District for a period of 30 days preceding the next meeting at which he or she offers to vote.
Any person who would not be qualified to register or vote under the provisions of Election Law Sections 5-100 and 5-106 will not have the right to register for or vote in an election.
Personal Registration of Voters
Personal registration of voters in the Broadalbin-Perth Central School District has been provided.
The Board of Education will authorize registration of voters on dates to be determined at their discretion.
The registration must include all persons registering personally for the referendum or election in question. The register will also include:
- a) All persons who previously have registered for any annual budget referendum or special meeting of election held with four (4) calendar years prior to the year in which such register is being prepared.
- b) Any person who is registered to vote under the provisions of Election Law Section 5-612(2) and amendments.
The last day of registration shall not be less than five (5) days nor more than fourteen (14) days preceding the annual budget referendum or election. Such registration must be open for at least four (4) consecutive hours between 7 a.m. and 8 p.m.
The Board of Education reserves the right to revoke the provisions for personal registration in this District. However, once revoked they cannot be reinstated unless authorized by the voters at a District election.