Policy 7130

Entitlement to Attend — Age and Residency

Ages of Attendance/Compulsory Attendance Age

According to Education Law, a student who becomes six (6) years of age on or before the first of December in any school year shall be required to attend full-time instruction from the first day that the Broadalbin-Perth Central School District schools are in session in September of such school year, and a student who becomes six (6) years of age after the first of December in any school year shall be required to attend full-time instruction from the first day of session in the following September. Except as otherwise provided in Education Law Section 3205(3), a student shall be required to remain in attendance until the last day of session in the school year in which the student becomes sixteen (16) years of age. Students under or over the compulsory age who attend school, while not subject to compulsory education laws, shall be expected to abide by District Policy requiring regular attendance.

The uniform policy for the district is that a child must be age five on or before December first to be admitted to Kindergarten.  A child entering first grade must be age six on or before December first, unless the child has completed Kindergarten in a state accredited school, public or private.

Children who do not turn five (5) on or before December 1st may be eligible to register for and be enrolled in the Broadalbin-Perth Pre-Kindergarten program.  Selection for participation shall be determined by criteria in place for the program.

In accordance with Education Law Section 3205(3), the Board of Education shall have the power to require minors from sixteen (16) to seventeen (17) years of age who are not employed to attend full-time instruction until the end of the school year in which the student turns seventeen (17) years of age.

All persons dwelling within the District who are between the ages of five (5) years and twenty-one (21) years and who have not received a high school diploma shall be entitled to enroll in the District.

Undocumented children, like U.S. citizen children, have the right to attend school full-time as long as they meet the age and residency requirements established by state law.

Proof of Age

In accordance with Education Law, where a birth certificate or record of baptism is not available, a passport (including foreign passport) may be used to determine a child’s age for purposes of enrollment/registration in school. Should none of these be available, the District may consider certain other documentary or recorded evidence to determine a child’s age.

Only where a birth certificate, record of baptism or passport is unavailable, shall the following examples of documentation may be used to establish a student’s age:

  • a) School photo ID with date of birth;
  • b) Hospital or health records;
  • c) State or other government-issued ID;
  • d) Military dependent ID card;
  • e) Native American Tribal document;
  • f) Record(s) from non-profit international aid agencies and voluntary agencies (VOLAGs);
  • g) Consulate identification card; and
  • h) Official driver’s license.

This list is not intended to be exhaustive, nor is it a list of required documentation.

Determination of Student Residency

The residence of children dwelling within the District boundaries shall be established in a manner consistent with State Law and the Regulations of the Commissioner. The Superintendent, as the designee of the Board of Education shall determine whether a child is entitled to attend a District school. All residency determinations shall be provided in writing to the parent or legal guardian. A parent or legal guardian may appeal any adverse residency determination to the Board of Education within thirty (30) days of the date of that decision.

A child’s residence is presumed to be that of his/her parents or legal guardians. However, the District may encounter students, particularly from other countries, who reside with persons other than their parents or legal guardians. In order to determine residency in these cases, the District may request information regarding such student’s custody to establish residency and to ensure the health, safety and welfare of the child.

Children Living With Noncustodial Parents

A child’s residence is usually determined by the residence of the custodial parent. However, a noncustodial parent who resides in the District may enroll his/her child in a District school if he/she shares the day-to-day responsibilities for the child and the custodial parent designates the child’s residence with the noncustodial parent.

Homeless Children

The parent/person in parental relation to a homeless child; or the homeless child, together with the homeless liaison designated by the School District in the case of an unaccompanied youth; or the director of a residential program for runaway and homeless youth established pursuant to Executive Law Article 19-H, in consultation with the homeless child, where such homeless child is living in such program, may designate either the school district of current location, the school district of origin, or a school district participating in a regional placement plan as the district the homeless child shall attend.

Children of Activated Reserve Military Personnel

Students temporarily residing outside the boundaries of the District, due to relocation necessitated by the call to active military duty of the student’s parent or person in parental relation, will be allowed to attend the public school that they attended prior to the relocation. However, the District is not required to provide transportation between a temporary residence located outside the District and the school the child attends.

Emancipated Minors

A determination of whether a student is to be designated as an emancipated minor in the Broadalbin-Perth Central School District will be based on evidence that the student is no longer under custody, control and support of his/her parents/persons in parental relation. To establish emancipation, a minor may submit documentation of his/her means of support, proof of residency and an explanation of the circumstances surrounding the student’s emancipation, including a description of the student’s relationship with his/her parents/persons in parental relation.

These statements are renewable each school year. If at any time the above information is changed without prompt notification or proven to be false, the parent/person in parental relation and/or student may be subject to legal action.

Children Living With Persons Not Their Parents — Guardianship or Custody

In accordance with the Family Court Act and Domestic Relations Law, a person possessing a lawful order of guardianship or custody of a minor child who is not the parent of such child may enroll the child in public school in the school district where he/she and the child reside.

Therefore, upon application for enrollment by the guardian or custodian, the District shall enroll such a child for such time as the child resides with the guardian or custodian in the District upon verification that the guardian or custodian possess a lawful order of guardianship or custody for the child and that the guardian or custodian and the child properly reside in the same household within the District.