The Board of Education considers extracurricular activities to be a valuable part of the program of the school and shall support these activities within the financial means of the District.
Limited Open Forum
The Board of Education maintains a limited open forum where secondary students may meet for voluntary student-initiated activities unrelated directly to the instructional program, regardless of religious, political or philosophical content.
To provide “a fair opportunity” to students who wish to conduct a meeting, the Board of Education, in accordance with the provisions of the Equal Access Act, shall ensure that:
- a) The meeting is voluntary and student-initiated;
- b) There is no sponsorship of the meeting by the school, the government, or its agents or employees;
- c) Employees or agents of the school or government are present at religious meetings only in a non-participatory capacity;
- d) The meeting does not materially and substantially interfere with the orderly conduct of educational activities within the school; and
- e) Non-school persons may not direct, conduct, control, or regularly attend activities of student groups (20 USC Section 4071[c]).
The Board prohibits student organizations whose activities may be unlawful or may cause disruption or interference with the orderly conduct of the educational process.
Administration is responsible for establishing regulations governing the use of school facilities by student organizations.
Eligibility for Attendance
- a) Students who are suspended from school on a day of an athletic game or practice session, party, school dance, or other school affair scheduled after regular school hours are not eligible for participation or attendance at such events.
- b) In order for students to attend a school-sponsored function, it is necessary that students attend classes for at least one half (1/2) of the school day on the day of the activity, unless otherwise excused by the building administrator. One-half (1/2) of the school day is defined as follows: from 8:30 a.m. until noon or from noon until the end of the school day.