Broadalbin-Perth’s FIRST Lego League teams had a successful season after months of preparations and multiple competitions across the Mohawk and Hudson Valley regions.
In the district’s fourth year of participating in FIRST Lego League, B-P is proud to have had nine teams compete, with membership totaling 53 students from grades 4-8. Teams formed over the summer under the direction of volunteer head coaches. Teams worked to program robots using Lego Mindstorms to solve missions on a playing field, and competed against other schools in tournaments throughout the school year.
The theme this season was “Hydro Dynamics.” Teams had to present a research project on the topic of “How can we improve the way humans interact with water?”
B-P had two teams advance to the regional finals. “Robo Splash” advanced in the Mohawk Valley region and “Riptides” advanced in the Hudson Valley region. The “Blockbusters” won the Project Award at the Albany tournament.
An invitation for next season will go out in late May to all B-P students entering grades 4-8.
- Water Works: Jack Samek, Jace Garrison, Jax Garrison, Kyle Dunlap, Ben Simonds, Coulson Park.
- Coaches Dave Samek and Karen Garrison
- H2WhoaBots: Zachary Rattray, Nico Minkler, Riley Bakuzonis, Cameron Verrego, Cameron LaFountain, Christiane Park, Emily Ratajczak
- Coaches Bryan Bakuzonis and Brandt Minkler
- Water Bros: Ephram Harvey, Deacon Mullarkey, Mark Staie, James Trinkle, Seeley Harvey
- Coaches Blaine and Beth Harvey
- Robo Hydro Atlanteans: Braden Horton, Logan Reed, Natalie Reed, Trenton Reed.
- Coaches Missi Dawson-Horton and Doug Reed
- Giggle Bots: Grace, Vonstettina-May, Peter Vonstettina-May, Dane Skretkowicz, Lacey Smathers, Mackenzie Barkley, Ben Sturgess
- Coaches Mike and Cassidy Vonstettina-May and Ben Sturgess
- B-P Patriotic Minnows: Will Kasierski, Ladian Work, Maddox Nichani, Caleb Yager, Nicholas Perry, Alonso Caruso
- Coach Mike Kasierski
- Blockbusters: Greta Spilken, Gabe Rodriguez, Logan Zara, Emily Mikan, Claire Murphy, Hunter O’Dell, Jack Bartow.
- Coach Ryan Spilken
- Riptides: Emily Siiss, Hannah Nolett, Arianna Wood, William Ribar, Jake Morin
- Coaches David and Kristal Siiss
- Robo Splash: Laurel Mitchell, Haley Tomlinson, Alix Shrome, Nico Georgelos, Ryan Michalski, Rylee Brown.
- Coaches Travis Mitchell and Beth Tomlinson