The Odyssey of the Mind team from Broadalbin-Perth Jr./Sr. High School will compete at the World Finals for the second year in a row after earning a second-place trophy at the New York state championships earlier this spring. The team, which includes freshman Ryan Michalski and sophomores Jacob Hughes, Lauryn Donahue, Logan Aery, Blaine Herrick, and Jaciano Carrero, competed in two long-term problems at the state championship.
B-P will compete in problem 2, “Odyssey ReOMvention,” at the World Finals. According to the Odyssey of the Mind website, problem 2 requires the team to “present a performance that identifies an original threat to the environment that self-replicates until a team-created technical reOMvention removes the threat.”
The team, along with coaches Alison and Carl Aery, are planning a number of fundraisers to help them get to Ames, Iowa, where the World Finals will take place at Iowa State University, May 24-28.
A portion of all purchases made at the following locations will be donated to the team:
- Amsterdam Recovery Room on Thursday, April 28 from 4 to 8 p.m., or all day if you order online, using the code ODYSSEY22 in the coupon code box.
- Car wash at the Broadalbin Fire Department on Saturday, April 30 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Amsterdam Panera Bread on Wednesday, May 4 from 4 to 8 p.m.
- Amsterdam McDonald’s on Wednesday, May 11 from 4:30 to 7 p.m.
Students can also participate:
- Make your own sundae for Jr./Sr. High students on Wednesday, April 27 and 28 during lunch times. $2 for ice cream or $3 including toppings.
- Elementary students will participate in a coin drive May 9-13, with the winning classes earning make-your-own sundae parties.
Donations are also gratefully accepted; checks made payable to BPCSD with “OOTM” in the memo can be mailed to 20 Pine Street, Broadalbin, NY 12025.