BPIS School-Parent-Student Compact
The purpose of a School Parent Compact is to build and foster development of a school partnership. It is also intended to help all children achieve the rigorous standards set for their future college and career success. Responsibility for student achievement should and will be shared by all stakeholders.
As principal of Broadalbin-Perth Intermediate School, I will:
- Provide an environment that fosters a safe, challenging and joyful school experience;
- Encourage warmth and mutual respect among teachers, staff, parents and students;
- Encourage teachers to communicate with parents regularly about grade level curriculum and individual student progress;
- Provide opportunities for teachers to grow as educational professionals; and
- Provide opportunities for parents to be involved in the education of their children.
As a teacher at BPIS, I will:
- Provide high-quality, rigorous curriculum and instruction in a supportive and effective learning environment that enables the participating children to meet the State’s student academic standards.
- Align curriculum and teaching to the NYS standards;
- Attend professional development sessions focused on recognized best practices;
- Develop in students respect and responsibility for oneself, one another, their community, country and world;
- Form caring relationships between the students and families of students that I work with;
- Hold parent teacher conferences in November and schedule additional conferences as needed;
- Explain my approach to teaching, expectations and grading during the scheduled Open House or Orientation;
- Discuss this School-Parent-Student compact;
- Provide reports for parents regarding their children’s progress per trimester;
- Continuously monitor student progress and promptly notify parents of concerns;
- Students who receive supplementary services will receive additional reports;
- Provide parents reasonable access to staff;
- School e-mail addresses and telephone numbers will be made available to parents;
- Pre-arranged consultations will be available before, during or after school hours;
- Provide parents opportunities to volunteer in school, participate in their child’s class and observe classroom activities such as:
- Classroom events or parties;
- Chaperone field trips;
- Classroom volunteer;
- PTO volunteer activities; and
- Shared Decision-making Committee.
As a parent of a BPIS student, I will support my child’s learning in the following ways:
- Let the teacher know if my child is struggling or has any unique learning needs;
- Use the reading, writing and math materials teachers send home each week to help my child learn;
- Read with or to my child daily;
- Value homework to promote responsibility and independence;
- Monitor my child’s attendance;
- Monitor the content and amount of time children spend with television and other media devices;
- Volunteer with the PTO, in school, or in classrooms as I am able;
- Promote positive use of my child’s extracurricular time;
- Stay informed about my child’s education and communicating with the school by promptly reading all notices from the school or the school district either received by my child or by mail and responding, as appropriate; and
- Help my child see how reading, writing and math will help them be successful with their learning and in life.
As a student at BPIS, I will share the responsibility for my learning in the following ways:
- Come to school well rested and prepared for daily activities (i.e. PE, media center, outdoor play);
- Do my homework every day and ask for help when I need it;
- Read at least 15-30 minutes every day outside of school;
- Give my parents or the adult who is responsible for my welfare all notices and information from the school every day;
- Show good character;
- Listen and participate in class; and
- Follow all school and classroom rules.