The Broadalbin-Perth Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) recently awarded grants totaling $6,677 to teachers at The Learning Community, B-P Intermediate School, and B-P Middle School to enhance and enrich students’ learning experiences.
Using PTO grant money, teachers will purchase:
- Books and engaging phonics activity kids for TLC classrooms;
- Recess equipment for use by pre-K students;
- Keva planks for use in sixth-grade science and engineering lessons;
- Stand-up desks and bouncy bands to help third-grade students release extra energy and soothe anxiety without distracting others while improving their focus and productivity;
- 125 books and 25 tote bags to help the intermediate school create a Book Challenge, similar to the TLC’s 1,000 Book Club;
- A droid inventor kit to be used in eighth-grade science lessons on electronics and circuitry; and
- Writers Workshop resources to help kindergarten teachers improve writing instruction.
The PTO also funded a fifth-grade field trip to the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, which tied in to lessons about Jackie Robinson’s impact on American culture; a pre-K field trip to the Children’s Museum at Saratoga; and an eighth-grade field trip to a working farm that uses sustainable and responsible agricultural processes.
In addition to grants, the PTO also provides annual funding to the district for arts and enrichment activities, including guest speakers, artists and performers. PTO funding comes from the organization’s year-round fundraising efforts.