What exactly am I voting on? A guide to the May 16 ballot

When they go to the polls on Tuesday, May 16, qualified residents of the Broadalbin-Perth Central School District will vote on three separate ballot propositions and select one candidate for the Board of Education. A plain-language explanation of each proposition is below, and information about the Board of Education candidates is available here.

Proposition #1

Residents are asked to vote on a proposed $41,266,000 budget for the 2023-24 school year and authorize the school district to collect taxes to support the budget. The tax levy increase associated with the budget proposal is 0.95%, or $155,650, which is above the district’s calculated tax levy “cap” of –8.38%. A supermajority of voters (at least 60%) is required for budget approval. Learn more about the budget proposal.

Proposition #2

Residents are asked to vote on a proposition to purchase three 66-passenger buses, two vans, and one large SUV at a maximum cost of $649,982. The state will pay for approximately 80% of that cost. There is no tax increase associated with this proposition. Learn more about the bus purchase proposition.

Proposition #3

Residents are asked to vote on a proposal that would allow the school district to create a capital reserve fund, which would be used to help pay for the local share of future capital improvement projects over the next 10 years. Approximately 70% of B-P’s capital projects are covered by state building aid, leaving about 30% as the local share. The capital reserve would be funded using money unspent at the end of the school year as well as interest income. If approved by voters, the capital reserve fund would be capped at $10,000,000. Learn more about the capital reserve fund proposition.

Exit Survey

After they cast their ballots, voters will be invited to complete an optional and anonymous exit survey. Information from the exit survey is used by district leaders and members of the Board of Education to inform future district decisions.